Typically, there are two roof coverings: either pitched or flat roofing in Calgary. Whatever the type of roofing, it should withstand the load while providing adequate waterproofing to the house. Yet, what kind of flat roof lasts the longest? If you’re uncertain, you can find the answers here!
Understanding What Flat Roofing in Calgary Offers
Why People Choose Flat Roofs
Previously, flat roofing in Calgary was designed for industrial facilities. On rare occasions, you can find them in multi-story houses used for residential purposes. Until recently, flat coverings have made their way to residential houses. With improvements in technology and development in building components, it is now possible to use flat coverings even in individual houses.
The advantages of having flat coverings lie in how inexpensive they are and their simplicity. Besides, the components used in flat coverings provide the best waterproofing solution compared to other types of roofing.
The materials used in flat roofs have the following properties:
- Heat insulation
- Chemical protection
- Solar radiation resistant
- Flexibility in application
- Long-lasting quality
Additionally, flat roofs consist of materials that maintain waterproofing, including optimal microclimate.
These might include the following:
- Use of primers for additional waterproofing, joint tightness, and reliable installation
- Proper drainage system
- Bituminous covering system
- PVC membrane that creates a reliable and durable waterproofing layer
Types of Flat Roofing
In general, there are three types of flat roofs.
Single-Ply Membrane Roofs or EPDM
Polymer membrane has been popular in building coverings regarding decoration and repair areas. Membrane roofs come with a high-reliability factor, have good adaptability to varying temperatures, are available in rich colour palettes, and have a lifespan of up to 40 years.
However, EPDM roofs are the latest technology, with an average lifespan of up to 55 years. EPDM covering is made from eco-friendly rubber materials that are recyclable as well.
- Pros: The coating is all-weather resistant, durable enough to last 30 to 50 years, and costs less than other membranes.
- Cons: It absorbs more heat than reflects the same making it less energy-efficient
Built-Up Roof or BUR
This type of flat roofing uses gravel and tar to create a waterproofing layer. It’s one of the most costly flat coverings used in residential buildings.
- Pros: With proper maintenance, they can last for about 10 to 15 years, have excellent protection against harsh weather conditions, ultraviolet rays, and water, and they have amazing durability.
- Cons: Time-consuming installation, may damage due to extreme rain or wind.
No wonder BUR has been the favourite option for most people for 60 years. But during the early 1960s, modified bitumen was introduced with proven effectiveness.
- Pros: Needs low maintenance, available for various applications, provides better flexibility and elasticity, easy setup, affordable.
- Cons: Seams that tend to overlap should be glued properly to prevent water leakage.
What Flat Roof Lasts the Longest?
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) is a long-lasting flat roofing material. It can withstand extreme weather conditions and last for at least 30 years. With proper maintenance, it can last for up to 50 years. If you are interested in replacing and installing your flat roof with the best material, contact a team of professionals with the required knowledge and tools to undertake the job effectively.
Active Exteriors has one mission: to provide the highest quality roofing in Calgary at competitive prices while satisfying our customers’ needs. We have established ourselves as Calgary’s go-to roofing contractors through our industry-setting levels of professionalism, integrity, and fairness. Offering roof replacement and repairs, siding repairs, installation and exterior renovations in Calgary is not just a job for us; its a matter of pride. You’ll experience workmanship that is well worth the value and will transform your property. Contact your trusted roofing company in Calgary at 403-717-0515.