Proper maintenance of flat roofing in Calgary can do wonders toward extending its life. One common means of doing so is by knowing when to reseal your flat roof. However, it does beg the question of how often you should reseal. If you have been pondering this exact question, read on to find out the answer here.
How Often Flat Roofing in Calgary Needs Resealing
Why Resealing Matters
As established above, a flat roof can last for many years with consistent upkeep – even up to 25 years! However, your roof isn’t immune to wear and tear during that time. Even though your roof does its best to protect you from the elements, it does take a hit in various ways from certain conditions that can create damage over time. When you consider the unpredictable nature of Alberta weather, a flat roof will certainly be affected by it. Seasons with heavy snow, intense heat waves, and even potential hail can certainly do some damage – notably, water damage. With resealing, it helps to combat these issues by making your roof look good and reducing possible repairs since it ensures moisture doesn’t seep inside.
Factors to Consider When Resealing
Winters in the city can range from cold, heavy snowfalls to the next day being noticeably warmer, with slushy snow melting everywhere. Resealing your flat roof would be in your best interest to avoid this heightened risk of moisture damage.
However, it’s important to understand that various factors contribute to how often you need to reseal your roof. These include the following:
- Type of flat roof you have: A completely flat roof requires regular sealing since they’re prone to ponding that leads to leaks. Meanwhile, sloped ones only need resealing a few times since water runs off mostly.
- Calgary’s climate: Alberta’s weather is all over the place. Think about resealing before extreme weather conditions (e.g. winter & summer) to prevent possible damages.
- Age/condition of your roof: Naturally, an older flat roof will show its age from wear and tear. Damages build up in time, so it’s best to reseal at any sign of issues.
- Your current maintenance habits: If you’re not consistent with the maintenance, this can make damages more apparent since they’re being overlooked. Mostly, it’s rather low upkeep since you typically only need to reseal once every five years.
Types of Roof Sealants to Use
When resealing your roof, it’s imperative to use the right sealant. Doing so can ensure the job is done properly, and you won’t have to worry about moisture damage.
There are at least the main types of flat roof sealants, which are:
- Built-Up Roof: Most traditional method uses tar or fibreglass membrane that’s laid down, then covered with hot tar & gravel. This type is inexpensive compared to the other types. Important to note, however, it’s quite heavy, & gravel often comes off.
- Modified Bitumen: Also asphalt-based, but this uses layers of mineral-reinforced bitumen sheets capped by granule-surfaced or metal-foil laminate sheets. These are normally thick, making them puncture-resistant and great for various temperatures.
- Rubber Membrane: From a tough single-ply membrane of recycled rubber, it’s laid over the plywood roofing surface and attached with an adhesive. An inexpensive option, but it may be prone to punctures more than the other types.
Active Exteriors has one mission: to provide the highest quality roofing in Calgary at competitive prices while satisfying our customers’ needs. We have established ourselves as Calgary’s go-to roofing contractors through our industry-setting levels of professionalism, integrity, and fairness. Offering roof replacement and repairs, siding repairs, installation and exterior renovations in Calgary is not just a job for us; its a matter of pride. You’ll experience workmanship that is well worth the value and will transform your property. Contact your trusted roofing company in Calgary at 403-717-0515.